Translate This Blog

Thursday, February 18, 2010

Veterinarians On TV?

A random thought occurred to me today.  There have been so many shows on television that center around the medical profession.  As I write this I'm watching House.  Another popular show is Gray's Anatomy.  When I was in vet school I was fairly addicted to ER.  Numerous soap operas involve doctors and hospitals (General Hospital anyone?).  Obviously characters and stories in these settings are interesting to people.  So why not veterinarians?

I know there have been some shows on Animal Planet about vets, but those are reality shows.  Why not a drama centered around a major specialty veterinary clinic?  What about a small-town vet as the main character in a "dramedy"?  Heck, I'd be happy with a single recurring character on some other show.

So why this lack of veterinary characters?  According to most surveys, we are one of the most trusted and well-respected professions that people know of.  The majority of Americans and others in western civilization have pets and see a vet at least once per year.  Those of us in the profession know that there is plenty of drama and humor in what we do.  There are surprises and shocks, heartbreaks and great successes.  I think it would make for a great show!

1 comment:

  1. Hmm, good question. I bet the dearth of vets on TV comes down to 2 reasons. One, animals, even the actors, don't verbally tell you what's wrong with them. So the medicine of it is limited to the vet explaining what they find as they examine the patient. It just doesn't play as well on TV, I don't think. And two, while it's sad when the people on medical shows don't make it, when animals die it is somehow more horrible. I know that I cannot/WILL NOT watch shows where something bad happens to the animal.

    I did like Chris O'Donnell's brief role as a handsome/compassionate veterinarian on Gray's Anatomy a few years ago. He was a very brief love-interest for Meredith when her dog was sick. But then the dog died and I cried. Yuck.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for making a comment on my blog! Please be aware that due to spammers putting links in their comments I moderate every comment. ANY COMMENTS WITH AN EXTERNAL LINK NOT RELATED TO THE TOPIC WILL LIKELY BE DELETED AND MARKED AS SPAM. If you are someone who is posting links to increase the traffic to another website, save me and you the time and hassle and simply don't comment. To everyone else.....comment away! I really do enjoy hearing from readers!