Translate This Blog

Friday, February 6, 2009

Waxing Loquacious

loquacious [loh-kwey-shuhs]–adjective
1. talking or tending to talk much or freely; talkative; chattering; babbling; garrulous: a loquacious dinner guest.
2. characterized by excessive talk; wordy: easily the most loquacious play of the season.


I have been looking back over some of my previous entries, and have realized that a character flaw I have in person exists in print as well. I enjoy teaching and lecturing, and look for opportunities to do both. Most of my staff over the years have liked this, as I willingly detail to them the "whys" and "hows" of pet care and veterinary medicine. I have also mentored many veterinary students and new graduates, who have commented positively on my explanations. But I do tend to go on at length on many topics, and will give more discussion that what is sometimes needed.

I commonly say that if someone asks me a question that requires a yes or no answer, I will give them that answer and then give them a 20 minute dissertation on why it is yes or no. I have even had receptionists page me on a back phone, ask me a question, wait for my answer, and then hang up on me while I'm explaining it to them. Frankly, I've never gotten upset by this, and we've all joked around about it because everyone knows that I'm a bit of a talker. The receptionist got their answer, and didn't have time for me to go into teaching mode.

Sometimes this can be a good thing. Many diseases or disorders require lengthy explanations for the owners to truly understand what is going on. Just today I was talking to someone whose dog was having severe anxiety when in his kennel. Behavioral issues are never simple or straight-forward, so it was good that I was comfortable in doing a lengthy lesson. The owner thanked me for my thoroughness.

On the flip side, a few months ago I had a client with a different opinion. My tech came back after we were done seeing the pet and was laughing at what the client had said. Apparently she told the tech "That was a very nice vet and I liked him, but he sure can talk!"

What my wife hates is that I'm completely different at home. Though I'm very outgoing in professional situations, and enjoy being with people, when I'm in my private life I'm extremely introverted. Sometimes she can't get two consecutive sentences out of me!

So if I tend to go on a bit long, I do apologize!