Translate This Blog

Monday, November 14, 2011

Aqua-geek

Any regular reader of this blog will know that I am a big geek.  Being a vet is pretty much what I do to support my other interests as well as my family, and those interests are usually geek-related, involving sci-fi, fantasy, comic books, and so on.  Just look back through this blog for my annual attendance at Dragon*Con in Atlanta, Georgia.

One of my favorite comic book characters is Aquaman.  I've always loved the idea of being able to swim underwater and communicate with animals.  I also enjoy the stories told about him and have followed him through his various incarnations in comic books and animations.  When I was younger I did competitive swimming and often used Aquaman as my inspiration, pretending I was him when I was practicing or simply playing in the pool.  I was excited when his new comic book started (with the entire reboot of DC comics) and have really enjoyed the story and art so far.  I have several Aquaman action figures and plushes, and have even gotten into minor arguments with friends about how awesome Aquaman is.

Earlier this year I found a site called the Aquaman Shrine, written and updated by a true Aqua-fan.  One of the things he does is maintain a fan designation called "F.O.A.M.", which stands for "Friends Of AquaMan".  To achieve F.O.A.M. status you must send in something unique and Aquaman-related.  It can't be simply a picture of an Aquaman action figure, or a website with an Aquaman hoodie, as those are common.  It has to be something new, obscure, unique, or otherwise different.  And today I earned my F.O.A.M. membership!

I love comic strips (the "educational" section of the newspaper, as my father calls it) and read most of mine on GoComics.com.  One of my favorites is Thatababy, which frequently has geek-related themes, but is funny even without that.  Today's comic is what caught my attention.

I sent that in to Rob, the webmaster of Aquaman Shrine, and he sent me my F.O.A.M. membership certificate!

So now I proudly claim the title of "Friend Of Aquaman", Aqua-fan, and geek!