Translate This Blog

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

The Best Veterinary Colleges In The US

Considering that my last post was on choosing undergraduate colleges, today's entry fits very nicely.  I am a graduate of North Carolina State University, and today I received an email from our alumni organization about a newly released ranking of US veterinary colleges.  For as long as I can remember, NCSU has been ranked #5, but this time we made it up to #3 (in a tie).  Click here for the article, and the list is presented below....

1.  Cornell University
2.  University of California, Davis
3.  Colorado State University
3.  North Carolina State University
5. Ohio State University
5. University of Pennsylvania
5.  University of Wisconsin, Madison
8.  Texas A&M University
9.  Michigan State University
9.  University of Georgia
9.  University of Minnesota
12.  University of Florida
13.  Tufts University
14.  Purdue University
15.  Auburn State University
15.  Washington State University
17.  Iowa State University
17.  Virginia Tech/University of Maryland
19.  Kansas State University
19.  University of Illinois
19.  University of Missouri
22.  Louisiana State University
24.  Mississippi State University
25.  Oklahoma State University
26.  Oregon State University
Tuskegee and Western Universities

Now I'm sure that every vet in the US would argue for their school having a better place on the list, and I personally wouldn't choose a veterinary school simply based on this list.  I've seen great vets and poor vets from pretty much every school, so I think a lot of it is what you make of the education that you're offered.

Still, it's kind of fun to see my school move up in the rankings!

10 comments:

  1. I agree it is what you make of your education! Go Aggies (UC Davis) :)
    In the middle of winter quarter finals right now :O

    ReplyDelete
  2. Howdy! I was browsing the internet and somehow I stumbled upon your website. I also work in the health science field (dentistry) and also am a fellow geek ;) Will be following your blog more closely :) God Bless!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WHAT?? Where is University of Tennessee?? I cry foul :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Huh, I didn't notice until you said something, but UT isn't on the list, even in the article. Yeah, that's a bit strange as I know several UT grads who are good doctors.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Naturally I disagree with this list. Go Tigers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. UTK isn't listed right now since they have limited accreditation due to issues with their aging clinics, I think? I read about it on SDN from some of the upperclassmen there. From what I saw, they're pretty much guaranteed full accreditation again as soon as the renovations are complete, but that's why they're not on the list.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nohika...you're right. It's the large animal side of the hospital. After I graduated, the school was put on probation - they have to get the large animal hospital updated. There's no good isolation, and the building is just super-dated.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Doctor, I must respectfully heckle you. Although I'm not a graduate of OSU, I feel that I must complain about YOUR school leapfrogging the home of the Buckeyes. Especially with March Madness upon us.

    I will maintain my admiration for you and your kindness, regardless.

    Cindi

    ReplyDelete
  9. I thought it was the large-animal, but I didn't have the page open and didn't want to guess and not be right. :) I think from what one of the people said who's a fourth-year there is that they're on track and I think they've been promised full accreditation as soon as the construction is complete and AVMA checks it out.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I know a ton of other vets in Tennessee who went to Ohio State. They have a great program and Columbus was a nice city to live in for a while. I would consider living there if I didn't love TN so much. Go Buckeyes!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for making a comment on my blog! Please be aware that due to spammers putting links in their comments I moderate every comment. ANY COMMENTS WITH AN EXTERNAL LINK NOT RELATED TO THE TOPIC WILL LIKELY BE DELETED AND MARKED AS SPAM. If you are someone who is posting links to increase the traffic to another website, save me and you the time and hassle and simply don't comment. To everyone else.....comment away! I really do enjoy hearing from readers!