Translate This Blog

Friday, September 30, 2011

Two-Faced Cat

File this one under "tales of the bizarre". 

A doctor we recently hired told me a few days ago about one of his old colleagues who had just seen a puppy with three hind legs and two vaginas.  He showed me a picture of the newborn, and it was truly odd-looking.  We began talking about other genetic abnormalities that were likely to go along with such deformities, and that the puppy had a low chance of survival.  Our discussion turned to similar deformities in other species, such as two-headed snakes.  No kidding!


When I was attending the University of Tennessee for my Master's degree I saw a two-headed python in their reptile research department, alive and well.  One head was the dominant one and tended to control the body, but sometimes the heads would fight over a prey item.  It was really strange, but interesting at the same time.

Then today I just came across a story on the front page of FoxNews.com, about a two-faced cat who was 12 years old and still doing very well, thereby setting a Guinness World Record.  Click on the link above to see the story as well as a short video of the cat and his owner


I have to admit that even having seen many things in 14 years of veterinary practice, this one took me a bit by surprise.  I've seen photos and even preserved specimens of two-faced cattle, sheep, and other animals, but none of them survived long.  These types of deformities are usually so severe that life-expectancy for the unfortunate animals is measured in days from birth.  So it was quite strange to see a cat living a normal life-span with this condition and seemingly very happy and otherwise normal.

I'm not sure that I have a real point or comment about this cat.  But I certainly wanted to share!

2 comments:

  1. He is adorable :) I'm so happy that that woman wanted to give him a chance. He seems so happy.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for making a comment on my blog! Please be aware that due to spammers putting links in their comments I moderate every comment. ANY COMMENTS WITH AN EXTERNAL LINK NOT RELATED TO THE TOPIC WILL LIKELY BE DELETED AND MARKED AS SPAM. If you are someone who is posting links to increase the traffic to another website, save me and you the time and hassle and simply don't comment. To everyone else.....comment away! I really do enjoy hearing from readers!