Translate This Blog

Saturday, September 24, 2011

Getting Old

Yesterday I went to the ophthalmologist for my routine annual exam and had a rather rude reality check.  She said that I was at the early point of needing bifocals.  BIFOCALS!  Yikes!  Those are for old people.  Okay, so the average age to start using bifocals is 40-45 years old, and I'm 42.  But I dress up in costumes at sci-fi cons, collect action figures, and still watch cartoons.  I really don't feel like I'm at my age, and have always looked at bifocals as being for older people.

Now I am one.  That's a bit depressing, really, though it shouldn't change anything about who I am or how I feel.  After all, it's just changing vision, right?  Not a big deal and it doesn't mean that I'm falling apart.  Right?

No, I'm not going to start going through a mid-life crisis, and I won't be buying a motorcycle or convertible any time soon.  But it is a realization that I ain't gettin' any younger and can only expect more changes like this.  Next thing you know my doctor will start talking about colonoscopies.  

So say a few prayers for this aging doctor.  I think I'm going to go eat some ice cream and play with my action figures.

4 comments:

  1. Hey, I'm in the same boat. Went to the eye doctor today and found out I need bifocals, but I'm only 23!

    ReplyDelete
  2. just don't act your age and you will be fine......

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aging is inevitable. I think you can feel good about it though since you seem to be living a blessed life - you have a relationship with Jesus, a great family, and a pretty great job by most people's standards. This is just a temporary place for us anyway - so enjoy each day the Lord gives you no matter your age!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a great perspective, Stefanie, and you're absolutely right!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for making a comment on my blog! Please be aware that due to spammers putting links in their comments I moderate every comment. ANY COMMENTS WITH AN EXTERNAL LINK NOT RELATED TO THE TOPIC WILL LIKELY BE DELETED AND MARKED AS SPAM. If you are someone who is posting links to increase the traffic to another website, save me and you the time and hassle and simply don't comment. To everyone else.....comment away! I really do enjoy hearing from readers!