Translate This Blog

Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Struggles With Struggling

One of the most daily frustrating facts of veterinary practice is the behavior of our patients.  Some of them are very well behaved and sweet, but others....not so much.  It can make our job very difficult and can even be dangerous to the pets if not handled appropriately.

Just today I spayed a small black poodle.  We always do preanesthetic blood testing and so went to collect the blood.  She cried, squirmed, and generally made it hard to keep her still.  This makes it tricky because we collect blood from the jugular vein in the neck.  If they are moving around we can't hit the vein, and if they move too much while the needle is in we can cause a hematoma or similar problem.  We finally did get the blood, but it wasn't easy.

A little later in the day I saw a German shepherd mix with an ear infection.  I needed to look down in the ears to see the extend of the problem and evaluate the ear drums for damage.  Unfortunately he wasn't nice and the ears were uncomfortable so he growled, lunged, and struggled.  With some care I finally did get a good look, but once again it was difficult.

I can't say that I completely blame our patients.  We are doing uncomfortable or painful things to them and they don't know us well.  We are restraining them in ways that can be frightening, and it prevents them from moving.  If people I didn't know held me down by my arms and legs in order to shove a stick up my bum, I would certainly struggle against them!  Veterinarians and our staff are scary people doing mean things.  We can't explain to our patients that it will only sting for a bit and then be over, or otherwise rationalize with them to keep them calm.

There are many skills a vet must master, and wiggling, struggling pets is one of the biggest.  It takes great patience to work with them as you try again and again, getting more frustrated with each attempt.  In many cases we can't simply give up since we need to collect the samples or do the procedure right then.  It is one of the most irritating parts of the job, because if the patient would simply be still we would be finished in a fraction of the time.  Anyone entering the profession needs to be prepared for this as a daily issue.

1 comment:

  1. My dog (a lab hound mix, with huge floppy ears) got so many ear infections the first year of her life! I did my best to keep her ears clean with epi-otic, but she would get ear infections anyway. I would have to put drops in her ears and she HATES IT. The more drops she has to get (because of the almost constant ear infections), the harder it gets to hold her down. She even growled at me once when I was trying to give her eardrops. She got scolded and didn't do it to me again, but...

    One of the last times I took her in (for a post ear infection check up), the vet told me they needed about four people to hold her down (she weighs 60 lbs) while they looked in her ears, and the moment they put the tool in her ear to look down into the canal, she cried like she was dying. No infection though (thank dog), nice and clean.

    They told me next time she has ear issues, to contact them first and get a tranquilizer so when I do bring her in she's easier to handle. I'm cool with this too. I don't want her hurting the vet, a vet tech, or herself trying to get away from the big bad ear monster.

    :( I wish there were more that I could do, but I have to agree doc, sometimes dogs (and cats) just cannot tolerate some of the procedures done to them.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for making a comment on my blog! Please be aware that due to spammers putting links in their comments I moderate every comment. ANY COMMENTS WITH AN EXTERNAL LINK NOT RELATED TO THE TOPIC WILL LIKELY BE DELETED AND MARKED AS SPAM. If you are someone who is posting links to increase the traffic to another website, save me and you the time and hassle and simply don't comment. To everyone else.....comment away! I really do enjoy hearing from readers!