Translate This Blog

Wednesday, December 16, 2009

The Humor In A Vet's Life

For all of the hardship, heartache, and difficult decisions in a veterinarian's day, there can be a surprising amount of humor.  Some of it happens naturally.  For example, a year ago I blogged about a particularly funny incident involving a canine University of Tennessee fan.  Some times the humor is completely incomprehensible to others, such as when one of my techs had his pants slip a little while handling a dog, exposing his "crack" a little.  One of the other techs stuck a catheter cap into the space.  Yeah, a bit childish and weird, but we all had a good laught about it.  Other times the humor is forced as you try to find ways to cope with a particularly difficult situation.

I certainly don't consider myself a humorist, though I would love to be.  I'm simply not witty enough to come up with anything funny on a regular basis.  But there are certainly vets who can and do.

Probably one of the kings of veterinary humor is Dr. Robert Miller.  He is currently retired but had a great and varied experience on just about every species imaginable.  He is most well known for his cartoons based around veterinary medicine.  Here's a link to his cartooning site.

Dr. Michael Obenski has been writing humorous columns for DVM Newsmagazine for over 30 years.  When I get that journal every month, his is the first article I look for.  His insights are spot-on (though may be not quite as humorous to the clients he is describing) and based on experiences that every small-animal vet can relate to. You can read some of his articles here.

Then there's Dr. Bo Brock, a mixed-animal practitioner from Texas.  Working on livestock and farm animals as well as pets, he gives a completely different perspective.  Also published in DVM Newsmagazine, you can read his articles here.

So does anyone else have any good resources for veterinary-specific humor?

4 comments:

  1. Just would like to thank you Dr. Bern, for your post on my Lepto blog. Yes, you are right, I was quoting the human stats of the CDC. I only found two isolated articles on canine lepto in states miles apart, and with less specificity and citing difficulties with blood cultures & slides. Wonder why? And it sort of reminds me of the many that insist lyme titers may not indicate disease but simply "exposure".

    I love this blog, I can see why you would visit the "funnies" first, just like many of us old-timers with the Sunday news. Sorry I don't have any good resources to add, and I always say "if you can no longer laugh, you would always be crying!" ---bad grammar & all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How about funnyvet.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great site! I had never seen that before! Now it's bookmarked and on my sidebar. Thanks for sharing that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. There's a humor folder on the VIN message boards if you're a member. I've gotten a lot of laughs there. I love Bo Brock's column too.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for making a comment on my blog! Please be aware that due to spammers putting links in their comments I moderate every comment. ANY COMMENTS WITH AN EXTERNAL LINK NOT RELATED TO THE TOPIC WILL LIKELY BE DELETED AND MARKED AS SPAM. If you are someone who is posting links to increase the traffic to another website, save me and you the time and hassle and simply don't comment. To everyone else.....comment away! I really do enjoy hearing from readers!