Translate This Blog

Thursday, December 3, 2009

Fun With Words

Here's a weird thing about me (one of many)....there are certain words I just love to hear and say.  I don't know why, but some words simply sound interesting to me, or I love the specific meaning that they give.  Here are some examples....

Plethora
Ubiquitous
Purulent
Borborygmi
Ornithology

Language can be fun, and I enjoy learning about the origins and underlying meaning of words and phrases.  The English language is such a hodge-podge (there's another good one!) of words from other cultures and languages and is constantly evolving that some people spend their lives studying it.  Unfortunately, people often butcher words, usually unintentionally.  I have learned to live with these mistakes, but it still bothers me sometimes.  For example, there is no such word as "irregardless".  It's simply "regardless".

Anyone else have this quirk?  I'd love to hear other words that people find interesting/alluring/gripping/intriguing/etc.

1 comment:

  1. I' m always trying to think of words to songs that rhymes with Daizy & or sentences that make sense for a song that rhymes with Daisy . my cat loves it when I sing they were . I guess that you I guess you call that a quirk .?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for making a comment on my blog! Please be aware that due to spammers putting links in their comments I moderate every comment. ANY COMMENTS WITH AN EXTERNAL LINK NOT RELATED TO THE TOPIC WILL LIKELY BE DELETED AND MARKED AS SPAM. If you are someone who is posting links to increase the traffic to another website, save me and you the time and hassle and simply don't comment. To everyone else.....comment away! I really do enjoy hearing from readers!