Translate This Blog

Wednesday, March 17, 2010

What Voice Mail?

Does anybody bother checking their voice mail anymore?

Here's something that's happening with increasing frequency. I call a client to let them know that their pet is ready to be picked up. I end up getting their voice mail and proceed to leave a detailed message with any findings, treatment plans, and other information. Now, I'll only do this with routine cases, not ones where I really need to get more information or discuss something at length. But I do this in cases where I just need to pass on some quick details and don't need to speak to them directly.

Then the client calls back shortly afterward...."Yes, I received a call from your office."  But they don't know what the call was about.  What?  Obviously they simply saw the number on their caller ID and never bothered checking their voice mail.

Now, I don't know about everyone else, but when I see that someone has called and left a message, I listen to that message before I call them back.  After all, there might be something in the message that would make me do something else or I would see that I didn't need to return their call.  To me, that's common sense and something everyone should do. But obviously not everyone sees it this way, and for the life of me I can't figure out why. 

So if you ever get a call from me, check the voice mail before calling me back!

4 comments:

  1. I don't. One of my greatest pet peeves is long, drawn out voice mails. If I completely miss a call, I will often listen to it, but if I missed it by a moment, I much prefer not wasting my time listening to the whole message and then going over the whole thing AGAIN when I call the person back. Often, voice messages are blurred, redundant, or difficult to understand. Sometimes the info comes too fast for me to pick it up or jot it down (God forbid I'd have to listen to it twice).

    My ideal voice mail as a client would be "Hi, this is Dr. So-and-so from such-and-such, and I'm calling to talk to you about your pet petname's procedure today. Everything went fine. Please give me a call back when you get this message so we can discuss the details."

    Done. I call back, and no time is wasted on either side.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Confession here - if someone leaves a voice mail on my cell phone, I usually just call right back because I can't see the numbers of my cell phone well enough to enter the password for my voice mail!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My voicemail is notoriously screwy so I have learned that checking it is a waste of my time. Maybe other people have this same problem.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for making a comment on my blog! Please be aware that due to spammers putting links in their comments I moderate every comment. ANY COMMENTS WITH AN EXTERNAL LINK NOT RELATED TO THE TOPIC WILL LIKELY BE DELETED AND MARKED AS SPAM. If you are someone who is posting links to increase the traffic to another website, save me and you the time and hassle and simply don't comment. To everyone else.....comment away! I really do enjoy hearing from readers!