Translate This Blog

Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Best Blogger?

I've been writing on this blog for nearly five years, and have enjoyed it so far.  I'm not making money on it, so this is pretty much just a personal blog about life as a vet, with some pet education thrown in from time to time.  But apparently I'm gaining a reputation on the Internet.  Time will tell whether or not that's a good thing!

In any case, I popped up on a list of "The Top 50 Veterinary Bloggers of 2013".  That's a very cool honor, though I have no idea how the list was determined, and for all I know there are around 51 veterinary bloggers out there so it may not mean much.  Also, 2013 is only half over!  Still, I'll admit that it strokes the ego a bit to be recognized in any small way.

There are some other great bloggers out there, and I know many of my readers have their own blogs related to the profession, some of which certainly deserve to be on that list.

Now I'm just waiting for Good Morning America to give me a call.....

3 comments:

  1. Your blog IS great!

    Dr. Bern,

    I shadowed a vet for the first time about a month ago and it was an amazing experience. I loved every bit of it and I shocked myself when I didn't feel queasy at all during surgeries and actually really enjoyed them :)

    But I do have a question. Although the experience was amazing, it was pretty awkward, too. I asked a few questions but most of the time I couldn't think of anything to ask or didn't want to interfere. There were times when nothing was going on in the clinic and I was just standing there with nothing to do. I was going to ask the techs if they needed any help but they seemed so focused that I didn't want to bother them (the vet was doing paperwork)...The vet did a wonderful job trying to explain things to me as she worked, but when I was with techs (a lot of the time) they weren't that interested in talking to me. I would love it if you gave me some tips on how to make it less awkward!

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not everyone enjoys teaching or talking to other people. They may be great at what they do but don't have an interest in taking someone under their wing. Start by asking them more personal things about the job. "What made you want to work here?" "Do you want to be a vet yourself someday?" "What's the weirdest thing you've seen on the job?" Once they share some stories they may open up a bit. But keep in mind that they're likely very busy and have a lot to do, so you don't want to interfere with their duties. Also, there is a liability to the practice if something happens to you while you are a volunteer, so they will likely limit what you are allowed to do. If the vet is doing other things and the staff doing their job, ask the vet if they have a journal or text book you can look through.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done No 5.
    Well deserved.
    Surprised to see my own name in the list too - so you are probably right with that 51 entrants bit.

    :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for making a comment on my blog! Please be aware that due to spammers putting links in their comments I moderate every comment. ANY COMMENTS WITH AN EXTERNAL LINK NOT RELATED TO THE TOPIC WILL LIKELY BE DELETED AND MARKED AS SPAM. If you are someone who is posting links to increase the traffic to another website, save me and you the time and hassle and simply don't comment. To everyone else.....comment away! I really do enjoy hearing from readers!