Translate This Blog

Thursday, December 10, 2009

Caffeinated Happiness

I have discovered a very important thing about myself.  I am a much happier person when I am full of caffeine.  I'm not much of a coffee drinker, but I drink sodas almost daily (diet only...trying to keep at my goal weight).  Yes, too much caffeine is bad for you, especially with some diseases.  But I'm otherwise healthy so I don't worry about it.  Caffeine doesn't really hype me up too much.  It does get me energized when I'm dragging, but I normally don't get hyperactive on it. 

Does that mean that I'm addicted?  Probably.  But I'm not as bad as some people I've known.  I don't keep an energy drink around, and rarely even buy them (y'know, Red Bull and similar drinks).  I have at most 2-3 sodas per day, and if I have coffee it's no more than a cup.  I know people that need 2-3 cups of coffee just to get going in the morning!  But I definitely do better and am more pleasant with caffeine in my system.

My wife has learned this also.  When I'm feeling frustrated or depressed, she tries to talk me into pumping up on caffeine.  And I can't say that this is a bad thing.  I never realized it until recently, but I feel happier and joke around more when I have had caffeine.

I guess there are worse things to be addicted to.  At least this particular addiction is legal!