Translate This Blog

Saturday, July 14, 2012

Family

My son came back from 4H camp today.  When I saw him get off the bus he somehow looked older and more mature.  Our worries over him were unfounded, as he had a blast and made many new friends (which he said was one of his favorite things about camp).  My little boy is growing up before my eyes.  It also hit me when he said that he could go to camp for another two years and then if he wanted to keep going he would have to attend as a teen counselor.  I quickly did the math and realized that in three years he'll be 14.  Wow!

Unfortunately my family isn't all back together.  Yesterday my wife left for a weekend getaway with some college friends of hers and won't be back until Sunday.  So last night it was just me and my daughter.  Today and tomorrow it's me and the kids.  Then Sunday we'll be back together.

Having us split up this week reminds me of how wonderful family can be.  Sure, it can be a pain at times, and I've been frustrated with my kids and my wife.  But I also love them all very much and feel so blessed to have them in my life.  This is one of those times when the saying "absence makes the heart grow fonder" applies.  I missed my son and I miss my wife.  In two years when both kids are able to go away to camp (my daughter is dying to go) I'm not sure how we'll handle it without them for a week.  But it's all part of growing up.

So I want to take this opportunity to tell the world (since I have an international readership) how much I love my family.  I am a very blessed husband, father, and man to have these kids and this woman as part of my life.  

Now if I can just get everyone back in town at the same time....