Translate This Blog

Friday, May 28, 2010

You Named Him WHAT????

I love seeing pets with unique and original names, and have tried to keep my own pets from having common names.  There's nothing wrong with frequently used names such as Buddy, Max, Bear, Precious, and so on, and I bet most pet owners don't realize how common some names are.  But those of us in the veterinary field see certain names happen again and again.  So it stands out to us when people pick uncommon names.  However, sometimes people go too far.

Recently I've been having a discussion with some colleagues about some of the very inappropriate names people give their pets, none of which I can fully repeat here since I try to keep this blog family-friendly.  But we're talking about names like Dam**t, Sh**head, Nig**r, B*tch, Dumba**, and so on.  People sometimes use curse words, derogatory racial names, crude slang for genitalia, and so on.  Frankly, it makes no sense to me, and usually indicates someone who is rude, crass, inconsiderate, and insensitive.  And these people appear to be highly amused by their own perceived cleverness.  "Hey, come here, Dam**t!" [snicker, snicker]  "Did you kids feed Sh**head yet?" [goofy grin] 

I think it's very sad that these people don't seem to realize how offensive these names are.  And I can't imagine their kids growing up in such a household where language and attitudes like this are normal and accepted.  Is it any wonder that our society is becoming increasingly morally degenerate?  It boggles the mind that there are people who find these things completely appropriate in public situations.  Over the years I've seen a few clients who have named their pets like this, and I can tell you that they're not people I would want to spend time with.  And I've also refused to call these pets by their names since I don't use language like that myself.

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really can't believe people sometimes. Why would you choose to do this to a pet? It really makes me wonder how they actually treat their pets too.

    I heard a story of a teacher who worked in inner city Chicago. She actually had a student (human!) who was named Sh#@head. It was pronounced a little differently (the TH being said like the word THE) but seeing it on paper - how mean!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I spend nearly as much time naming my pets as my kids! I despise Fluffy, Scuffy, Blackie and all of the other "uffy" and "ackie" names!

    My tzu's name is Nelson (suits him to a T) and we have four cats - Ben, Vivian, Oscar and a new Tonkinese kitten named Peejoe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gross. That is terrible.

    I knew a guy that had a cat and a dog.
    He called the dog "Dee oh Gee" (Dog) in other words he spelled out the word.
    His cat he called "See a Tee" (cat)

    Then there is the old boy scott joke of a dog called three rivers.

    Giy has company for dinner and the company remarks how clean the plates and silver is. Guy says thanks "they were cleaned by three
    rivers".
    when dinners over he says it is time to clean the dishes and he calls his dog "three rivers".

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for making a comment on my blog! Please be aware that due to spammers putting links in their comments I moderate every comment. ANY COMMENTS WITH AN EXTERNAL LINK NOT RELATED TO THE TOPIC WILL LIKELY BE DELETED AND MARKED AS SPAM. If you are someone who is posting links to increase the traffic to another website, save me and you the time and hassle and simply don't comment. To everyone else.....comment away! I really do enjoy hearing from readers!