Translate This Blog

Sunday, June 13, 2010

Back To Work

It's been a busy couple of weeks for me.  My family and I took our first week-long vacation in an incredibly long time, visiting my father and going to a science-fiction convention.  This past week I flew across the country to California to take part in a task force identifying challenges, problems, and solutions in some veterinary hospitals that weren't reaching their potential.  Today I got back into town and tomorrow I go back to work.

I haven't been in my hospital for two weeks, and it's making me a bit anxious.  I've never been gone this long, and though I have a great staff and great doctors, I'm not exactly sure what I'll be facing when I get back.  One of the positive things I will face is a veterinary student.  I have one that will be working with us for six weeks starting tomorrow, and one doing an externship starting in another week or two.  I very much enjoy teaching and mentoring, so that part will be fun for me.

While spending some time in another hospital this past week I realized that I much prefer doing that to being in daily practice.  Though I am a good vet, my true skills like more in the areas of teaching and communicating.  There are certainly times I would rather do anything than see patients.  My hope and desire is that if I made a good showing this past week I can get more opportunities like this, and can guide my career in a different direction.

But for the foreseeable future I am still an average vet and have a practice to manage.  Tomorrow it's back to the grind, back to patients, and back to normal.  Not a bad life, really.

3 comments:

  1. Now that I can identify with - I love being in education- mixed my clinical skills with my urge to teach - a chane in direction and career, taking all the knowledge and experience with me :) I think a lot of vets get restless with practice after a while - many of my colleaugues have expressed a degree of envy about my taking the side step I did.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. After 13 years of practice and 26 years in the profession, I'm restless. I also absolutely love teaching and lecturing and would be so happy to do it full-time. Unfortunately, I don't have the motivation to go for a specialization or advanced degree which I would need to be in a vet school here in the US. I've looked into tech schools, and have even taught biology in college courses, but the pay is half what I make as a vet, so it's tough to make that switch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ah yes the pay... it is less, but not half and i get no after hours or weekend work and 9 weeks leave a year on top of usual stat days - so I compromised to spend more time with the kids!
    Many places take on part time tutors which leaves you a foot in both camps...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for making a comment on my blog! Please be aware that due to spammers putting links in their comments I moderate every comment. ANY COMMENTS WITH AN EXTERNAL LINK NOT RELATED TO THE TOPIC WILL LIKELY BE DELETED AND MARKED AS SPAM. If you are someone who is posting links to increase the traffic to another website, save me and you the time and hassle and simply don't comment. To everyone else.....comment away! I really do enjoy hearing from readers!