Translate This Blog

Thursday, July 1, 2010

With Clear Vision

Okay, so sometimes I'm a little late to the game.  I'm 40 years old and have just gotten my first pair of contact lenses.  I've been wearing glasses since I was 10 or 11 years old, and in the last 5-6 years my sight has worsened to the point where I have had to wear them all of the time and not just occasionally. Honestly, it's never bothered me to have my glasses.  I'm so used to wearing them that I don't notice them, and I don't mind how they look on me.

So why the change?  Well, I do a lot of costuming at sci-fi conventions and Renaissance faires, and when I'm in costume I don't want to wear my glasses because they don't fit with the theme.  However, without my glasses my vision is more blurred, making it harder for me to enjoy looking at the vendors.  For a couple of years I've considered contacts but finally made the commitment.  For the last week I've been wearing them and have found them surprisingly enjoyable.

My contacts don't give me quite the clarity of vision that my glasses do, but it's still much better than without them.  I'm finding them very comfortable, and have gotten to the point where I forget I have them.  However, I'm so used to my glasses that I find myself in the same habits.  For example, when I go to look at the microscope I still reach up to take my glasses off.  There are benefits though, such as not having to worry about glasses fogging up because of my surgical mask.

So even though I got the contacts for cons and faires, it looks like I'll be wearing them more often than not.