Translate This Blog

Saturday, April 4, 2009

Time For Family

The older I get, the more that I realize that my life is not defined by what I do. More and more I tell people that being a vet is what I DO, not who I AM. As much as I enjoy parts of it, it's a job that allows me to support my family and my hobbies, and not something I am disappointed leaving at the end of the day. Unfortunately, I see many people who don't seem to realize this, and put their careers ahead of their loved ones. I used to want more out of my career, but now I want to find more excuses to spend time with my family. It's an often-used phrase and kind of a cliche, but nobody comes to the end of their life wishing they had spent more time at the office.

With that in mind, I'm getting ready to spend some well-earned family time. The kids aren't getting any older, and we haven't taken a long, full family vacation in about three years. So in the morning we're getting up early to drive and spend a few days with my father. After that we're going to the beach for the rest of the week to enjoy some relaxation and family activities. I'm leaving the laptop at home and won't even look at the internet for a full week. This week it's all about my family.

Any of you with families, I would encourage you to do the same thing. Don't concentrate so much on your job that you neglect your spouse and children. Take some time to actually be with them and enjoy fun activities without other distractions. You definitely won't regret it.

I'll see you all in a week!